Electrical Wiring in the Home/wall socket

The electrical plugs in 2 bathrooms will not work although everything else in the bathrooms works fine. I've checked breakers and the wire test hot through the wall right up to the plug. I've exchanged the old GFCI for a new GFCI plug; pushed the retest button and still no working electrical plug. What should I be doing to correct this. The small light shows green on the front of the new outlet, I switched the wires and it showed red, so I put them back and the green light came back on.

When you say you switched the wires, did you switch the line and load wires, or the black and white?  Make sure the wires from the panel connect to the line side, and the wires going to other outlet on the load.  You can also try to disconnect the other outlet until you get the GFCI to work, then connect it. You can also trying putting a regular outlet there temporarily to see if it works.  Make sure you don't leave it there, since it is a safety hazard.  If it works, the problem is the GFCI, if it doesn't work the problem is in the wiring.  Sometimes the green LED will work, but not the outlet, so that is no sure sign of the wiring being OK.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.