Electrical Wiring in the Home/wiring

Question
QUESTION: I have four 250mm cables connected paralell to supply power for line 1 in a three phase 440volt circuit, the cables are not sharing the current equally. Why does this happen?

ANSWER: How aRE THE OTHER PHASES?
How unequally?
What are the readings for the 4 conductors?

QUESTION: 1. The other phases has the same problem.
2. One cable carries 45% of the load and the other 3 shares the remaining 55% of the load. Note. Load is 1300amps, voltage 442volts and frequency is 60hz.
3. what reading of the 4 conductors are you referring to is it the resistance or voltage?

Appreciate any help

ANSWER: Not enough information
How are the cables installed?
What reading would I need except the current? It was what you referenced!
You are saying one has 585 amps and each of the other three has 238 amps
How are the conductors installed?
Cable tray? Conduit? I can't read your mind and I can't see your job
Did this just start? or is this a new installation and it has the problem?

There are two obvious probable causes. The 4 conductors in each phase are of different lengths [you need to cut them all the same length then install them and leave them the same]
OR
There is something wrong with the termination of several of the conductors.

Did you use the same wire for all conductors of the same phase? Is one copper and the others aluminum?
How sure are you that they are all the same size?

Layout of the Wires
Layout of the Wires  
QUESTION: Thank you for you reply. We really appreciate the help. Your answers are proving to be very helpful.

The cables are installed in cable trays.The run on a flat surface side by side. This cable connect the main supply from the 3 phase main switch to a 2000amps ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). The are all the same type, size and made from copper (all were cut from the same roll).
For the wire termination we use lug terminal that suit both application i.e. copper and aluminium as per the wiring regulation.
There is a difference in the cable length; about 2-3ft. This is because of the angle for the end connection see picture attached.

Answer
Guess I won't be much help.
Looking at the pictures, you have at least a 140 foot [40 meter] run. Those values just don't make any sense mathematically. The one conductor would have to be half as long as the other three....and to have it happen in all three phases is odd beyond mention.

This is a link to one of several discussions about this with a formula based on cable length:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=96501&page=2&p=807826#post807826

I would be VERY interested to hear if you find the answer to your problem.

email - robert@wilberelectrical.com
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber