Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring diagram

QUESTION: The house is from 1964 and I am just trying to re-wire what was already there.  I was just looking for a second opinion/wiring diagram.  So the power comes into a 2 gang box with 2 switches.  1 of the switches goes to the garbage disposal on the sink and the second goes to a small drop light over the sink.  Then the line continues to the single outlet for the microwave and then a standard outlet/receptacle.

ANSWER: That is against code.  The disposal needs to be on its own circuit.  The light needs to be on a circuit with other lights, and no outlets or appliances in the kitchen. The outlet needs to be on a 20 amp circuit with only kitchen and dining outlets.  There needs to be at least 2 circuits for these outlets, and need to be mixed in the kitchen area. (In other words, you can't have one circuit for one side and one for the other. Remember that any general outlet near the sink needs to be a GFCI outlet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

QUESTION: Thank you for your time I appreciate your response.  So.....from what I gather I can take the 20 amp that run and just connect that to the trash disposal....then run a new 20 amp service from the breaker to the microwave....then run a new 15 amp service to the 2 gang unit to the other switch to power the light and outlet.

If the outlet is in the kitchen or dining room, it can't be with the light, and must be 20 amps.  Usually disposals are 15 amps, but 20 amps would be OK. The 15 amp light circuit does not need to be a separate circuit, so you could connect it to an existing lighting circuit in another room, if it is easier.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.