Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrical wiring

Question
I am at a loss. lol.  I hav a bedroom with 3 wall outlets, 1 light switch,and one ceilig fan. the man working on installing ceiling fan and new light switch took old light down and removed old light switch. I was called to install a new ceiling fan and new light switch. Anyway I have no power in the room what so ever no outlets are hot wires for ceiling fn r not hot. some how he did something to caus loss of power in that room. I checked circuit breakers aand none r tripped. I cannot figure how he lost all power to that one room?? I hope u have a suggestion? thank you very much

Answer
Robert Wilber
Philadelphia Licensed Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
*
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
*
Electricity is fire in a box! Death on a leash!
*
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
*
In Philadelphia, it is unlawful for anyone except an individual licensed by the City of Philadelphia to install electrical equipment and wiring.
Homeowners are not allowed to install wiring.
The owner of any property wherein any such installation is discovered shall be issued a violation by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
The limited exceptions include replacing devices and fixtures at existing outlets.
Contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections for more information.
*
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) [downloadable GFI safety pdf]
TURN THE POWER OFF WHEN WORKING!
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
**************
Explain "removed the old light switch"
You mean from the box it was installed in?
Demolished the wiring?
Why were you called to finish the switch/fan job someone else started?

Maybe they disconnected the circuit from the breaker so nobody could turn it on while they were working on it.

Send me photos, drawing of floor plan with outlet/lighting/switch locations
Show service location
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber