Electrical Wiring in the Home/receptical

I have a receptical that does not have power when I check the plug in but if I put I test probe on the ground wire and one on the black wire I have power.

If you have no power from the black to white (hot to neutral) but have about 110v from black to ground it means you have a broken or disconnected neutral.

It could be as simple as the outlet needs to be replaced.
It could be as difficult as a broken neutral in a wall or attic.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Greg Hughes

Troubleshooting electrical including appliances and HVAC.

34 years of experience.

Both college and tech schools in this field.