Electrical Wiring in the Home/white wire hot

Hello,My neighbor has an outside motion light that no longer works It only works in the test mode.When I removed the light the black wire was to black and the white wire was to white however when testing both wires after removal  the white wire is hot and the black wire is dead.There is only one cable comming in to the box blk.white and bare any thoughts on this it is a puzzle to me thank you

The wires may be switched somewhere.  Do you get power between the black and white? If it works in the test mode the power is probably OK.  Most likely the dusk/dawn sensor is bad, and the whole unit should be replaced.  Electronic things can be very fragile and temperamental.

About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.