Electrical Wiring in the Home/240v outlet shows the proper readings on the meter,the oulet has power, but when the dryer is plugged in the oulet it doesn't come on....this a new dryer

What will a 240v outlet that has power, but will not start a dryer

There are limited possibilities

1- you don't have real solid 240 - flaky connection that shows voltage but won't carry current
2- no neutral - 240 volt dryers have 120 controls that need a neutral
3- bad dryer (it happens)
4- improper termination of cord - second hot on neutral terminal, neutral on hot terminal
5- gremlins

good luck
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber

Licensed Philadelphia electrician serving Delaware, Chester, Montgomery and Philadelphia County in Pennsylvania. I install and repair residential, commercial and industrial wiring and lighting. Troubleshooting and repair of problems that stump other people is my favorite. I am willing to help people figure out why things don`t work. I understand motor controls, transformers and machine wiring. I do not teach basics to novices or do free design work.

Experience in the area I have 44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair, 480 volts and below. This is not to be confused with one week repeated two thousand times.

44 years experience in residential, commercial and industrial electrical construction and repair