Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring switch to ceiling fan

I have 3 bedrooms in my house and each one has a light switch and a ceiling fan.  None of the switches seem to control anything and the fans/lights are all controlled by pullchain.  I have taken the cover off each of the switches and each one has 3 wires going to the switch - ground, white, black.  Black and white are both hot - I tested by disconnecting them from the switch, so essentially the switches are useless.  The fans are all powered from the attic where it looks like a single 14/3 cable was run from one of the bedrooms and into a junction box, which then has 3 14/3 cables going to a ceiling jbox in each of the rooms for the fans.  What is my best approach for figuring out where the power is coming from at the switches and then tying the switches into the ceiling fans?

Thanks for the help.

Most likely the switches go to an outlet in each room.  To run the fan from the switch, get the black and white that are already there from each switch, and connect them together.  That will make sure whatever they go to will still get power.  Then run a cable from the fan to the switch.  At the switch, connect the black and white to switch, and the ground to the other ground.  At the fan, disconnect the black fan wire from the cable.  Connect the new cable, one wire to the black fan wire, the other wire to the cable where the fan was connected.  If you want the fan and fan light (if you have them) on separate switches, then you will need to run 14/3 to the switch.  Ask a follow up question if you need to know how to do that.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle

Just about any home wiring question. (not appliance repair) I have done all kinds of home wiring for myself, including adding a new breaker box, etc. Please, questions from North America only. Please be specific with details.