Electrical Wiring in the Home/Fixture installation questions - reality check

Question
Issue #2
Issue #2  

Issue #3
Issue #3  
My husband and bought a newly constructed home from the builder about 7 months ago and I'm just getting around to changing some of the light fixtures. I have done this numerous times in the past decade. My questions are around the severity of some of the mistakes I encountered in the original installation of my dining room light fixture.

1) There was no ground wire. I assumed new wiring would require this in a ceiling fixture. Is this just a nice to have, but not required to meet code?

2) The fixture ground wire was not attached to the green grounding screw and was instead wrapped around the insulated base of the other two wires. This just seems lazy to me, but it is something I should bring up to my builder and check other fixtures for?

3) The two screws holding the fixture to the base plate in the ceiling had the heads cut off. There was about 2 millimeters of the thread that stuck up past the base plate. If those had loosened over time there was no screw head to prevent the entire fixture from detaching from the ceiling and being held by just the wiring. This also seems like laziness or poor work. Is this another valid concern?

Thanks!

Answer
hi
I am guessing Chicago
Your city requires conduit.
Issue 1 - If properly installed the conduit serves as the grounding conductor so a separate wire is not required.
Issue 2 - We have a winner. Give the lady a cupie doll! There should be a wire from the box on a ground screw to the bracket unless the bracket is touching the box where it is fastened by the mounting screws. I use a ground tail to the box myself in any case.
However, that bare ground wire from the fixture should, in my humble opinion, be terminated at the bracket's green ground screw.
Issue 3 - not an issue. Standard practice.
stud shouldn't "unscrew"
Good luck with your new house!
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber