Electrical Wiring in the Home/Outside breaker box

Question
Im a handyman doing handywork for a client. He asked me to re-attach an electrical box. Its not the meter but pretty sure its the main. (From the pole)
1) what should i charge?
2)Am i in danger? ( other then obvious)
3) should i even attempt?
4) is it worth it?

Answer
Robert Wilber
Philadelphia Licensed Electrician
Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
Electricity is dangerous!
You can be injured or killed!
Improper installations can cause fire, injury and death!
Are you qualified to do this work?
*
National Electrical Code definition, NFPA 70 2008 Article 100: Qualified Person. "One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."
*
Electricity is fire in a box, death on a leash!
*
Always check with the local “Authority Having Jurisdiction” for an official interpretation before making installation decisions.
*
In Philadelphia, it is unlawful for anyone except an individual licensed by the City of Philadelphia to install electrical equipment and wiring.
Homeowners are not allowed to install wiring.
The owner of any property wherein any such installation is discovered shall be issued a violation by the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
The limited exceptions include replacing devices and fixtures at existing outlets.
Contact the Department of Licenses and Inspections for more information.
*
You are more likely to be killed by 120 volts than any other voltage [120 volts creates the PERFECT fatal current through the human body's electrical resistance!]
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) [downloadable GFI safety pdf]
TURN THE POWER OFF WHEN WORKING!
*
LIFE SAFETY WARNING! [disclaimer]
This information is provided for the use of parties as they see fit!
I am not responsible for the application of this information by any party, including those lacking sufficient skill or knowledge to perform these steps safely and any hazard created is the SOLE responsibility of the user.
*
Sorry for the delay in answering.
You have probably made your decision already and either taken the risk to fix this or walked away. I will answer your questions anyway, in case someone else wonders.
1] What should you charge? You don't plan to do it for free and won't get enough to retire. You can't charge what a trained electrician would charge. What is your time worth?
2] Are you in danger? Frankly, if you don't know the answer to that then you really shouldn't be doing this, should you? In general, if you cannot de-energize what you are working on, rendering it completely inert, you are always in danger.
3] Should you even attempt it? That is always the technician's decision based on conditions. If I were your employer, aware of your lack of knowledge and training, I wouldn't let you do the work.
4] Is it worth it? I suppose it is only worth a few dollars for you if you do it. Considering that you might cause an arc blast and end up in a burn ward, electrocute yourself or create a condition that damages the property [which you probably don't have insurance coverage to offset]I would suggest that it probably isn't
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber