Electrical Wiring in the Home/Wiring 4 way switch circuit

Question
Robert:
I have a 4 way switch circuit which controls lights over my garage entrance.

I replaced the 3 way at the start of the circuit.....the 4 way and the 3 way were untouched as they were.

The 3 way at the end of the circuit works fine, but the 4 way and the 3 way at the start of the circuit appear to be ineffective.

I obviously did not wire the first 3 way correctly.
Given that diagnosis, can you venture a guess as to what I did wrong,

Answer
Nicholas

If you only changed one of the three way switches, then the problem is there [unless gremlins have become involved]

There are several ways to wire a three way, but it always comes down to swapping a traveler with the common. The common will either have the hot feed or the load conductor on it. The travelers will be in one cable together. Unless you are at the remote end of the switch system with only a three wire in it it should be easy to figure out which is what.

Best regards
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Robert Wilber