Electrical Wiring in the Home/electrical wiring

Question
QUESTION: I need to put a new two prong plug on a lamp. I have bought the new plug. It has one brass looking screw and one silver looking screw.The lamp has one all white wire, and the other is white with a black stripe.
Which wire goes to the brass looking screw?

ANSWER: Take a look where the wires connect to the socket.  The wire that connects to the center bottom button of the socket (probably brass there too) connects to the brass screw near the narrower blade. The wire that connects to the shell screw part of the socket (probably silver looking there too) connects to the silver screw on the plug next to the wider blade of the plug.

QUESTION: Thank you, and I know you tried your best, but it is not clear to a novice like me, so let me ask the question another way.

The wire coming from the lamp has one all white strand. The other is white with a black stripe. Which one is positive and which one is negative. The plug has one brass looking attachment screw and one silver looking attachment screw. Which one is positive and which one is negative.

Thanks again.

Answer
The brass screw is positive.  But I can't tell you which wire is positive because I don't know how they wired the lamp.  If the socket is a typical brass plated socket, then pull the cover off (without the bulb) and see which wire is connected to the brass screw on the socket.  Whichever wire that is, it goes to the brass screw on the plug.
About Electrical Wiring in the Home
This site answers questions related to home electrical wiring, home wiring, general electrical help,and other electrical questions related to aleternating current (AC). You can find help on the National Electical Code, home electrical issues, wiring electrical outlets, installing lighting, electrical grounding, and general electrical help for do-it-yourself projects not require an electrician. If you do not see your home electrical wiring question answered in this area then please ask your electrical wiring question here

Electrical Wiring in the Home

Bob Sponaugle