Electronic Components/Solar Cells.

Solar Cell Working
Solar Cell Working  
Solar Cell
Solar Cell  
QUESTION: Dear Deirdre

Can we use Solar Cells for powering Smartphones and Cell Phones in the future ?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: There are already solar chargers for cell phones, so the short answer is yes. But providing constant power for a cell phone with a solar cell is not likely. It comes down to a matter of the amount of power needed to carry on a conversation, vs the amount of power available from a solar cell. If you could leave your cell phone in the sun at all times to provide power to the battery, then possibly, but having your phone with you at all times means that it will not constantly be in optimum charging conditions with light alone.

We keep phones in our purses and pockets and briefcases. And certainly, ambient lighting in buildings is not sufficient to keep the battery charged. And even if we are in full sunlight, the surface area available for solar cells is not sufficient to power the phone when it's transmitting.

Solar chargers use a larger number of solar cells with a greater surface area, and can certainly charge a phone, but they are too cumbersome to carry and would make using the phone inconvenient.

I can see, in the future, some cell-type pay phones that are operated with a larger solar cell array in fixed locations, but that is different than a solar-powered portable phone.

Solar Energy
Solar Energy  

Photovoltaic Panels
Photovoltaic Panels  
QUESTION: Dear Deirdre

Thank you.

I also got good references for the same.

Do you feel Electricity generated through Solar Panels for residential and commercial purposes could also provide a good alternative means for power generation ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

They are already being used for this purpose, as well as for providing power for subway systems, informatinoal signs, data centers and many other uses - if not for primary power, at least for supplemental power. Advances in battery technology and conversion efficiency have helped to make this possible.
In some localities, excess power generated in residences may be sent back to the power grid, and homeowners are actually being paid by the utilities for the power they generate.

Electronic Components

Deirdre Hebert

I can answer most questions regarding electronic components, what they are and how to use them.

I worked for a number of years in the electronic component testing industry, designing and building automated test equipment for the electronic manufacturing industry.

Numerous technical manuals for the equipment we built.

UNH, CCAF and others

General Electric, Motorola, Ford, Sensonor and others.