Electronic Components/Alternating Switch



I'm installing a 12V DC 1100mA siren speaker to my home security system. It has 3 wires: a neutral, a yellow wire for single tone and a red wire for a yelp tone.

I was wondering if there was an electrical component that would automatically alternate the connection between red and yellow wires every few seconds or so. If there is, how can I find such a component?

Thank you!

Normally, a sound module like this, if there are only three wires, will have one wire for ground (or neutral) one wire for power, and one wire to select the tone (or to provide the audio to be amplified).
Usually, the red wire would be for the 12V power.
It may be that the module has a separate power supply that you haven't mentioned above.

In any case, I can't give a complete answer without knowing a bit more about the device. If you could supply me with the name of the manufacturer and the model number, I may be able to look it up and provide you with better information. Without this, I can only guess.

Electronic Components

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Deirdre Hebert


I can answer most questions regarding electronic components, what they are and how to use them.


I worked for a number of years in the electronic component testing industry, designing and building automated test equipment for the electronic manufacturing industry.

Numerous technical manuals for the equipment we built.

UNH, CCAF and others

Past/Present Clients
General Electric, Motorola, Ford, Sensonor and others.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.