Electronic Components/STEP DOWN

Question
scammell truck
scammell truck  
HI DEIRDRE.
IN my modelling i need to run 2 motors one 12v and one 24v from the same 24v battery !
so it would seem i need a fixed resistance of some type to run the 12v motor . what would be a suitable item ?
Many thanks.
Martin

Answer
Hello,

While a resistor might work, it would be terribly inefficient. The resistor would dissipate as much power as the motor. That would generate heat, and waste battery power. Also, with a changing load on the motor, the voltage of the motor would change, as well as the torque of the motor.

A better solution would be to use a DC-DC converter

This page at Mouser Electronics will let you search DC-DC converters by your particular requirements.

http://www.mouser.com/Power/DC-DC-Converters/_/N-5gc7?&SAP=true&gclid=CIakjcmi7r

Electronic Components

Deirdre Hebert