You are here:

Electronic Components/Camera Accepting Dual Image Storage Media.


Camera Roll
Camera Roll  

Digital Camera
Digital Camera  
Dear Deirdre‎‎‎

1. Are there cameras available from sony, kodak, samsung etc which can accept and store both image media in roll (cartridge) as well as on memory card (digital camera) ?.

i.e. Film roll cartridges as well as memory card installed in the camera.

There will be two modes of operation with a Mode Operation button
on the camera.

Clicking on Mode operation button will allow the photographer to
select two image storage media. A. Digital B. Film Roll.

if photographer selects option A then takes a photo, the image will be recorded on the memory card, if photographer selects option B  

2. Do you feel this type of camera which can accept both types of
media can be useful to photographers and other consumers  ?.

3. Technically, is it feasible (complexity) to manufacture these
type of camera product ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

I only know of one camera that has combined both film and digital in the same body; this one had two lenses. One lens was for the digital camera, and sent light to the imager, and the other to the film. It was not very good as either a digital camera or a film camera. It had fixed-focus lenses and was good, mostly, for snapshots only.

The major problem with trying to construct a combination camera is that in good cameras, the optical path is designed to precisely focus the light on the plane of either the sensor or the film. The film and the sensor cannot occupy the same space.

In a Single Lens Reflex camera, a mirror is used to divert light from the path of the lens to the view-finder, and it is theoretically possible to construct a camera that could use such an arrangement to construct a third light path, sending light to an imager, film or the viewfinder. However this would be an extremely complicated camera, and significantly larger. It would also be much more  difficult to maintain. Any change in the position of the mirror would result in different focal planes for the film, digital imager and view-finder.

A third option is a digital back for a film camera. Because the camera is designed to precisely focus the light from the lens on the plane of the film, it's possible to replace the back of the camera with a digital imager. However these tend to be very expensive and are used mostly on quality large or medium format cameras. Nikon has a patent on a digital back for a 35 mm film camera, but I haven't seen these on the market yet.

Electronic Components

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Deirdre Hebert


I can answer most questions regarding electronic components, what they are and how to use them.


I worked for a number of years in the electronic component testing industry, designing and building automated test equipment for the electronic manufacturing industry.

Numerous technical manuals for the equipment we built.

UNH, CCAF and others

Past/Present Clients
General Electric, Motorola, Ford, Sensonor and others.

©2017 All rights reserved.