Electronic Components/Mobile Phone Signal Reception from Underground Areas.

Dear Deirdre‎‎‎‎‎

1. Are there limitations for Mobile Phone Signal Transmission/ Reception from Underground Areas viz Tunnels, Coal, Oil Mines, Wells etc ?.

i.e. 20 feet, 50 feet, 125 feet, 150 feet below etc

2. Can there be any methods to boost the Mobile Phone Signal reception so that the underground worker/s may be able to communicate with their wireless devices ?.

3. What are the communication channels  modes for underground manpower viz to communicate with office workers on ground level ?.
Using the elevator/lift to travel up and down the ground level
could be the only solution for communication ?.

4. Can Walkie - Talkie (two way radio communication) device work
in Underground areas ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Radio waves in the bands used by cellular telephones and most 2-way radios do not propagate well beneath the surface of the Earth. Steel reinforcement in concrete, metal walls and other things will further degrade radio waves. Because of this, cellular and 2-way communications in tunnels is very limited.

There are devices called repeaters that will retransmit radio signals from the inside of a tunnel, to the outside world, but not all tunnels are so equipped.  

Electronic Components

Deirdre Hebert

I can answer most questions regarding electronic components, what they are and how to use them.

I worked for a number of years in the electronic component testing industry, designing and building automated test equipment for the electronic manufacturing industry.

Numerous technical manuals for the equipment we built.

UNH, CCAF and others

General Electric, Motorola, Ford, Sensonor and others.