Electronic Components/Wireless flash drive.

Question
USB Pen Drive
USB Pen Drive  
QUESTION: Dear Deirdre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive

Similar to USB Flash Drive, Is it possible to manufacture Wireless
flash drive ?.

The Operating System (Windows, Mac, Linux etc) and the motherboard hardware should support and detect the wireless Flash Drive.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: There are already wireless SD cards which you can install in cameras or other devices that use SD cards. So this technology is quite possible. However, the wireless component would require power - a battery, which would need to be recharged, so a stand-alone flash-drive would need to be plugged in to work - at least occasionally.
Additionally, if you are trying to create a truly portable device, you will need to insure that the hardware is fairly ubiquitous - as is USB today.

Bluetooth might work, because USB bluetooth adapters are available, and many computers already support bluetooth. But, once again, for many computers, this would require plugging in a device in order to use the flash drive.

I honestly don't see a great deal of value in a wireless flash drive because it will drive up the costs. The additional wireless circuitry, battery and charging circuitry will make the devices much larger and more expensive.

QUESTION: Dear Deirdre

Thank you.

Similar to USB Flash Drive, Wireless Flash Drive, Is it possible to manufacture Wireless External Hard drive ?.

The Operating System (Windows, Mac, Linux etc) and the motherboard hardware should support and detect the Wireless External Hard Drive in the machine (Desktop, Server, Laptop, Smartphone, Tablet).

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: These devices already exist.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A595048%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_brow

QUESTION: Dear Deirdre

Thank you.

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/MAX666601/13Q1/?gclid=CO6Grs

As you mention, similar to the above product and it should support all
range of machines viz Desktops, Workstations, Servers, Laptops, Smartphones, Tablets i.e. Standalone and Portable.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
As I mentioned, it's a fairly expensive device, and relies on batteries.
It might be useful for specific purposes, but note that while using wi-fi, it creates its own hotspot, and when connected to this device, you will not be able to connect to the Internet unless you first disconnect from this device and connect to a hot-spot that has Internet connectivity. Unless this device can connect to an existing network, acting as a simple file-server rather than its own hot-spot, it will find very limited use except for use as a file-server in a limited network.

Electronic Components

Deirdre Hebert