Electronics/Installing Dual Operating Systems in Smartphones and Tablets Devices.

Is it possible to install multiple Operating Systems in a single Smartphone, Tablet Device ?.

i.e. Dual Booting a Smartphone or Tablet device with multiple mobile operating systems.

For examples :

1. Windows mobile 7 Os and Android 4.4 Os.
2. Android 4.4 Os and iphone os 7.
3. iphone os 7 and Windows mobile 7 Os.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: I am not sure how difficult it is but seems possible.  Here is an account of one such strategy to do so using a mini OS with the capability to have different OS loaded on. It is called a hypervisor.

Also, if the CPU is strong enough it can be loaded with a second OS running on top of the native one like in Apple PCs where they run Apple OS and Windows.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Is it possible to have multiple BOOT ROM chips installed on the Mobile Devices viz Smartphones and Tablets ?.

Example : ROM 1 has Bios program option, ROM 2 has Windows 7 Os installed, ROM 3 has Android Os Installed on the Smartphone/Tablet Device.

The user gets a option to select BIOS program FROM ROM 1 chip
i.e. By pressing specific function key or any other key on the smartphone or tablet device which can access BIOS program.

If user selects Boot from ROM 2, Windows 7 Os will boot from ROM 2.
If user selects Boot from ROM 3, Android Os will boot from ROM 3.

Will this work ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: I understand the question but since I am not a computer scientist and have little experience at the bios level of device programming I cannot give you a viable answer.  My guess would be it may not be practical because I think ROM based bios may be in violation of system architecture and license agreements.

ROM read is the first thing the pc looks for and it cannot identify external ROM; must be built to the PC.

So, I think you must investigate this further.

Have a cheerful day.

Thank you.

There could be three combinations for these.

1. Theoretical possible, Practically easy.
2. Theoretical incorrect, hence Practically not possible.
3. Theoretical possible, Practically difficult but not impossible.

Similar to multiple Hard disk drives, Multiple LAN Cards, Multiple RAM Chips etc installation in a single computer, I feel it is possible to install multiple ROM chips in the Smartphone Device.

i.e. I Feel Theoretically yes.

Now remains the question of implementation, so it could be probably
option 3.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

I would vote for your number 3 meaning possible but with some difficulty.  But that is just my poorly educated guesstimate.  You should seek further opinions - preferably from someone more experienced and knowledgeable in BIOS and Operating Systems.

Have a cheerful day.  

Electronics questions about AC, DC and digital theory.

Graduate electrical engineer with over 40 years in electronic design, manufacturing, project organization and patent review. Experience in fields of industrial and consumer electronics (audio, video, acoustics, etc.)

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers); Senior Life member AES (Audio Engineering Society), Fellow Life member

BSEE University of North Dakota