Electronics/Vehicle Backup Camera

QUESTION: ZZ, I have a wired vehicle back up camera that I would like to be able to use with a rental truck. I just bought a new car with a camera installed and took this one out of the old one. Can I use a 9v battery as the power source for the camera and another 9v to power the 3.5" TFT LCD monitor? If this is possible do you have any idea how long I'll have power? The camera is a Pyle, PLCM32 if that helps.  
Thanks for the help,

ANSWER: The  Pyle, PLCM32 is a 12v system.  It may not work at all on 9v.  Doesn't your rental truck have 12v available?

The maximum cable length according to the manual says 6 meters or around 17 feet so you must take that into consideration as well.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Good point about the cable length, I hadn't thought of that. The truck does have 12v  and I could plug directly into the cigarette lighter. I'm not sure what to do with the back though. Normally the camera plugs into the backup lights but I can't alter the truck. That's when I started thinking about some form of battery. It makes sense the unit would be 12v since it uses the vehicle's power source...sorry for missing the obvious. I looked at RV supply stores but everything was about $500 and I'm only going to use this a few times a year.
Thanks for the help, it's probably easier to stay with hand signals :-)

Here is my suggestion:

You can run a 12v dc line from the front back to the camera. Distance on the 12v line is no problem. And, if you get a low capacity coax cable for the video line you could run it much further than the 17 feet.  Go to Radio Shack and ask for video cable coax which is lower capacitance than rca coax. Should be good for much longer distances.

Worth a try?  I think so.  If you run the cable too far it will only degrade the video.

Hope this helps.

Electronics questions about AC, DC and digital theory.

Graduate electrical engineer with over 40 years in electronic design, manufacturing, project organization and patent review. Experience in fields of industrial and consumer electronics (audio, video, acoustics, etc.)

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers); Senior Life member AES (Audio Engineering Society), Fellow Life member

BSEE University of North Dakota