Electronics/Electromagnetic induction

I know that magnets can induce current in conductors, but not much beyond that. I'm wondering if it is possible to generate current in a wire by running a magnet along its length. Applied to the real world, I'm curious to know if we could bury wires underneath freeways and attach magnets to the undersides of cars and use the current produced as a source of electricity.

Please see this recent article:

In the story above they are using buried magnetic fields to charge the batteries as the vehicle passes over them.  Your idea is the reverse whereby the passing vehicle induces current into road coils.  Either way, the principles of electro-magnatism are the same

The idea is not new; seems it has been around for a long time.

Good question. Hope this answers is suitable for you!

Electronics questions about AC, DC and digital theory.

Graduate electrical engineer with over 40 years in electronic design, manufacturing, project organization and patent review. Experience in fields of industrial and consumer electronics (audio, video, acoustics, etc.)

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers); Senior Life member AES (Audio Engineering Society), Fellow Life member

BSEE University of North Dakota