Electronics/12VDC Marine battery

I've heard them all forever, but I'm not sure what they really mean to the consumer.  So, what do you think is the best measurement (CCA, Reserve Capacity, etc.) to use for comparing value (cost versus usefulness) of a Deep Cycle Marine battery for the exclusive use of powering a trolling motor?

I apologize if the question is poorly worded.  I'm just trying to figure out how all the numbers come together to actually mean something.

I did a google search for marine battery tests, measurements and comparisons.  Here is a web page that gives the best overall look at how various batteries test out:

There are many factors to take into consideration with any battery.  For example:

- Load that will be seen by the battery
- Variations in loading as it is used (acceleration of the t roller, speed over time, etc.)
- Temperature while in use (batteries vary greatly with temperature as the above web shows)
- Connections to the terminals and length of the cables to the motor.
- Charging cycle needs by the user
- Type of electric motor used in the troller.

And, of course, there are differences in manufacturers quality; how they test them at their factory, how the plate chemistry remains operative over long use and so on.

There is no simple answer to your question without having a greater and more specific description of your exact usage.  You might take a look at the test reports that are given by Consumer Reports on automobile and truck batteries as they have a very rigorous test lab for evaluating those under test.  What goes for automobile use applies, in general, to marine batteries as well.  

Electronics questions about AC, DC and digital theory.

Graduate electrical engineer with over 40 years in electronic design, manufacturing, project organization and patent review. Experience in fields of industrial and consumer electronics (audio, video, acoustics, etc.)

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers); Senior Life member AES (Audio Engineering Society), Fellow Life member

BSEE University of North Dakota