Electronics/Future of 555 timer

Question
Hello !

I'm a 2nd year student in electronic and electrical engineering. I'm been given an assignment. One of the titles to be discussed is the future of the 555 timer.

Could you please help with that?

I've searched on Google - no result :/

Thank You ! and Sorry for my wrong English !

Answer
The 555 is a famous timer and is one of the most versatile and frequently used electronic components in the world.  It is made by many semiconductor manufacturers and is available in many forms.  It is so universal and inexpensive with proven reliability and applications making it popular for many years to come.

It has been in existence already since 1971 and has had increased usage every year since then.  Good evidence that it may be around for along time to come.

Hope this helps.  

Electronics

ZZ