Electronics/Microscope interfacing with Computer.

Is it possible to design and develop software applications (image processing) for the pathology lab which takes samples viz blood, urine, stool, sputum, sperm etc as input images captured by the Digital/Electron microscope and depending upon every image captured digitally, the output is generated i.e. reports for the readings count and its ranges.

The process will be automated as only the specimen slides are to be inserted in the microscope device for microscopic observations.
The Image processing Software application will generate the reports along with the Image captured taken on the printer output device.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: I think such products are already in the market place and being used in pathology labs at present using current technology.  See:

Also, you can google and easily find several commercially available devices with all the features you mentioned.  Some can take images from optical lenses and some are digital scanning devices for recording and storage, both with and without image processing for batch recording or archiving.

Hope this helps your searching.

Thank you.

Can Matlab software help me in this regard ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

I am not an expert with MatLab but it is a powerful software solutions package and used for many application areas.

If you are looking to completely develop the software for catching the images from the scope and process them in unique applications you may want to use other programs libraries.

But, for standard image viewing and storage it seems many have already solved these application areas.  A usb connection and video drivers to transport the images and process them for recording or retreival is nearly off the shelf availability.

Just my opinion.  

Electronics questions about AC, DC and digital theory.

Graduate electrical engineer with over 40 years in electronic design, manufacturing, project organization and patent review. Experience in fields of industrial and consumer electronics (audio, video, acoustics, etc.)

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers); Senior Life member AES (Audio Engineering Society), Fellow Life member

BSEE University of North Dakota