Electronics/Is it possible to weaponize the electron gun ballist off of an old CRT tube into a harassment weapon?

Weaponizing old CRT ballasts into harassment weapons.  I've been hearing strange rumors that a certain group of unethical engineers have been going around and secretly installing the electron guns from out of CRT monitors behind the walls of other people's offices to harass them while working. Is this possible?  I realize that CRT's normally have lead glass, etc... but what if they removed it and just used the gun?  The office I work in seem to have a strange electronics sound and the feeling of pelted on your skin by something at random times during the day... how would you detect free electrons pinging you from inside a wall?  A Geiger counter don't seem to measure electrons below a certain electron Volts level??  What about secondary radiation from electrons striking something outside of a vaccum, etc?

Sorry, I know nothing about this kind of conversion for CRT guns.  If you open the CRT and let air inside it will destroy the electron gun.  If you purposely aim the gun out of field so that it does not strike the phosphorous display area it will be absorbed in the liners of the walls of the glass tube structure.

A Geiger counter is not the right instrument for measuring the electron beam of a crt.  If you can get the electron gun to exceed its velocity by increasing the high voltage it will create some x-rays when the screen is struck by the beam.  But, the gun would deteriorate rapidly and become inoperative after a few hours of use, probably.  And, the x-rays would be harmful to the harassers just as well......

Sorry, I don't have anything that is helpful on this strange topic. I did a quick google search and did not find anything of interest or related to your question.  (there are some idiotic comments by people who clearly do not understand the physics of electron beams and lasers but I ignored their foolish comments).

Hope this help you somewhat.  

Electronics questions about AC, DC and digital theory.

Graduate electrical engineer with over 40 years in electronic design, manufacturing, project organization and patent review. Experience in fields of industrial and consumer electronics (audio, video, acoustics, etc.)

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers); Senior Life member AES (Audio Engineering Society), Fellow Life member

BSEE University of North Dakota