Electronics/Increasing Remote Control Range of a Television set

Dear ZZ‎

Case Study

Father is in the Hall, while son is in another room which is quite far from the Hall and is with the remote control device. Father instructs son to power on the Television set, change Different channels by using push buttons on the remote control device.  

Can we use RFID Technology as an alternative to Infrared technology for increasing the remote control
range to access TV Programs channels , TV on/off switch etc ?.

I Feel Modification in the Television receiver set - Installing RFID Chip, Modifications in the Remote control device may allow us to achieve this functionality.

Awaiting your Reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

RF, Ultrasound and IR have all been tried before.  The manufacturing world has settled on IR remote controls simply because it is very reliable, easily encoded, low on cost and works over long line-of-sight transmissions.

RFID chips are used for close up; most of them at the commercial and consumer level are used within just a couple of feet or one meter distance because of the weak signal they produce.

Here is one proposed RFID remote control that so far has not been commercially successful that I know of:

In the example above they are making the greatest benefit is a long lasting battery; a button cell lasting for 10 years or so because of the very low power needed by their RFID chip.

Therefore, the use of RFID chip technology for remote control operation of consumer electronics is feasible; the question may be is there a market for it.  

I don't think so - but how knows until it has been market tested for modern day products.  

Electronics questions about AC, DC and digital theory.

Graduate electrical engineer with over 40 years in electronic design, manufacturing, project organization and patent review. Experience in fields of industrial and consumer electronics (audio, video, acoustics, etc.)

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers); Senior Life member AES (Audio Engineering Society), Fellow Life member

BSEE University of North Dakota