You are here:

Electronics/electronic design


I want a small device (which can be mounted n circuit board) which can read rms value of voltage and transmit it. so please let me know if any such device is available or otherwise please suggest me a design to make one.

sine wave
sine wave

The above articles may be of interest to you.

True reading RMS voltage circuits must take into account the energy related value of the wave.  Most commercial voltmeters are either peak reading or average reading and assume the wave being measured is a sine wave or close unto it.  For non-sine waveforms you need a true rms reading voltmeter system.  

Circuits text books always include a discussion on this topic.  I won't lecture you on it but suffice it to say the links listed at the top are based on RMS reading approach.

Hope this helps.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Electronics questions about AC, DC and digital theory.


Graduate electrical engineer with over 40 years in electronic design, manufacturing, project organization and patent review. Experience in fields of industrial and consumer electronics (audio, video, acoustics, etc.)

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers); Senior Life member AES (Audio Engineering Society), Fellow Life member

BSEE University of North Dakota

©2017 All rights reserved.