Electronics/Hybrid Electric Water Pumps.

Question
QUESTION: Dear ZZ

Are there Hybrid Electric water pumps which operate on both AC and DC power?.

For this to work, we will require both AC motor and DC motor integrated in the Electric water pump?.

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: Didn't find any listed on purchasing and equipment websites.  I doubt if there are any specifically made as hybrids.

There are, however, many companies making water pumps used in recreation and camping vehicles that run on DC of the vehicle and when parked in camping area can switch over to AC power from the campers power system.  It is done by using an AC to DC converter which may or may not be an integral part of the water pump motor housing and mechanisms.

Also, in NYC and in other old cities of the world there are, believe it or not, some residence which still have DC house power from the old Edison days. In these homes and businesses there are usually both power sources available and some items must run on DC and others connect to the AC system.  So, there may be a small market for dual voltage pumps.  But, if there is I have not been able to find it.

So, I am going to answer your question as "NO" there are not hybrid, dual electric water pumps being made anywhere that I know of.

QUESTION: Dear ZZ

Thanks.

Is it technically feasible to design and construct a Hybrid Electric water pump which operates on both AC and DC input current?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Feasibility? Yes.  Design criteria must allow for switching motor over to other power source.  If two motors are used it may require an alteration of the drive mechanism when switching over to other power source.  For example, clutch system would be released to disengage the shaft of the motor not being used.

What market is there for such a product?  If there is a market I suspect these products would have been already available for the user.

Electronics

ZZ