Electronics/Automobile Headlights Automation.

Question
QUESTION: Dear ZZ

Is it possible to automate automobile headlights operations I.e Headlights switched on in darkness and switched off in broad daylight?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Yes, of course.

Most of the GM and Toyota cars now have similar function.  But, in some cars they go to daylight level which keeps the park lights on and all lights on when darkness comes.

It is not sophisticated technology.  I think GM has the patents on this and Toyota has license to use it - I think  (requires some research to verify it).

In any event there are many automobiles on the roads in US and UK that have similar features for the headlight function on cars and trucks.

QUESTION: Dear ZZ

Thank you.

The light detector sensor and dark detector sensor will be applied in this sophisticated technology?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Yes, they usually have the light sensors mounted underneath one of the parking lights or near where the window washer vents are so they can get the light measurement for night time as well as the differential light from on coming cars in order to dim the headlights.

There are many millions of cars now on the roads in USA, Europe and other countries with such features, I think.  

Electronics

ZZ