Electronics/Phone Call Voice Recognition Ability.

Question
Dear ZZ

Do the Phone call voice recognition ability varies from person to person ?.

The phone calls received by the person from the calling party has not met the caller face to face.

Example :

John and Dale are phone Caller parties and Peter is receiving phone calls.

1 The Caller party name is John for the first time. He calls up Peter and says "Hi, I am John, I would like to speak to Michael". Peter transfers the phone call to Michael.

2 The Caller party name is Dale for the first time. He calls up Peter and says "Hi, I am Dale, I would like to speak to Michael". Peter transfers the phone call to Michael.

Now after few days, John and Dale again make phone calls, but on phone they do the following conversation. The conversation is as follows.

1 The Caller party name is John. He calls up Peter and says "Hi, I would like to speak to Michael". Will Peter able to recognize the voice of John and without asking John transfers the Line to Michael saying that John is on Phone ?.

2 The Caller party name is Dale. He calls up Peter and says "Hi, I would like to speak to Michael". Will Peter able to recognize the voice of Dale and without asking John transfers the Line to Michael saying that Dale is on Phone ?.

Do the Phone call voice recognition ability will vary from person to person ?. i.e. Peter or somebody who is picking up phone calls. If yes, what are the reasons ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
I could not follow your conversational outline.

However, voice recognition software has greatly improved over the last several years. The early recognition systems required "training" of the software to recognize a voice uniquely. Once trained it did not work on other voices so well.

The systems used in telecommunications and computer systems is greatly advanced and can recogniz any voice even those with 'accent'. For example on my smartphone I can whisper into the voice recognition feature and it will give very excellent results. I can alter my voice and give it an accent typical of other countries and it recognizes very accurately.

But, can it recognize a previous voice when it has been working with other voices and comes back to a voice two previous trials?  Probably not. They are designed to put the voice to text not differentiate voices and bank their name.  At least I don't know of any voice recognition system that can do this.

I know there are developers working on various authentication and verification identity but I don't know the progress and if they can do what you are suggesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_recognition

Refer to the above wiki on this subject.  

Electronics

ZZ