You are here:

Electronics/120vac to 110vdc


I have 120vac input to rectifier & I need 110vdc to 120vdc out of rectifier. but Iam getting i need a different rectifier. or a capacitor to up the voltage.will a capacitor hold up to a constance used circuit ???

Well, you didn't give me enough information to know what is going on.

ONE:  Is it a full-wave or half-wave rectifier?
TWO:  Do you have any ripple reducing at the output to smooth out the dc?
THREE:  Are you using a peak reading voltmeter or dc average reading?
FOUR:  Have you seen the output on a scope? It could be the unfiltered output has peak of over 110v but the meter is reading an average value dc which is much less.

I think you should try a large cap at the output to act as a ripple filter/reducer and look at the output on a scope so you can measure the peak dc output.

Let me know more from the questions above and we can go from there in the followup.

Good Luck.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Electronics questions about AC, DC and digital theory.


Graduate electrical engineer with over 40 years in electronic design, manufacturing, project organization and patent review. Experience in fields of industrial and consumer electronics (audio, video, acoustics, etc.)

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers); Senior Life member AES (Audio Engineering Society), Fellow Life member

BSEE University of North Dakota

©2017 All rights reserved.