Electronics/Marble flooring in airports runways.

Question
QUESTION: Dear ZZ

Is marble flooring allowed on Airports runways?.

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: As an expert in electronics I have no authority to give you an expert opinion on airport runway materials.  So, I give you my comment based on personal observation of visiting many airports and runways throughout the world.

I have never seen marble or cobblestone or rock used as a runway material.  They are mostly of cement and/or asphalt materials.

But, I have seen much polished marble used inside the terminals for the walkways where pedestrians and passengers traverse on their way to and fro inside the terminal.

Hope this helps.

PS:  I have no opinion about whether marble flooring would be allowed by the port authorities if asked to do so.  Probably not due to the inelasticity of the material.  Cement and asphalt do have small bending and movement characteristics.

QUESTION: Dear ZZ

Thanks.

Will marble flooring be not recommended from the cost point of view Or Security regarding plane landing or departure?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
I don't know but I looked up the random cost for raw materials for asphalt, cement and marble.  The cement is about twice the cost of asphalt and marble is 2 to 3 times the cost of cement.  The thickness for marble may require to be greater due to its brittle character requiring a stronger sheer factor brought on by heavy aircraft.  Final analysis is marble maybe as much as 3 times to 4 times more costly than cement and 6 to 8 times greater than asphalt.

The surface of marble being shiny and slick may be a deterrent and it may require treatment of the landing surface which will put added strain on the surface.  Breakup of the marble could be the result if sufficient depth of the surface material needed.

Those are may non-expert comments.

Hope it is useful for you.

PS:  I am wondering why you are interested in marble for landing surfaces?  Any special reason?  

Electronics

ZZ