Electronics/Curious

Question
hi there, I'm not sure if u can answer this, but I'll ask nevertheless.
I've read that electricity doesn't have a smell; I don't think that's necessarily true. The reason why I say this is because if u ever had static on the screen of an old standard def t.v. & u went up to the screen & smelled it, u would end up (as far as my experience to actually doing this) smelling a strange odor that would make u feel a little nauseous, at least that's what I felt when I smelled it. I believe this smell, from what I've read recently, might be ozone and/or nitric oxide, right?

Answer
Electricity does not smell.  But it can cause odors to become evident.

Ozone is created, or can be created, when voltage reaches a high enough potential to ionize the air surrounding it.  It is a common occurrence in Cathode Ray Tube monitors and tv picture tubes.  The voltages necessary to reproduce images on the phosphorescant elements of the screen are very high; thousands of volts.  When the voltage begins to arc it can create chemical changes in the air surrounding the arc.  Arcing over to insulating material can also cause decomposition, burning and odorous gases.

But, electricity itself has no odor.  

Send further questions if you need.  

Electronics

ZZ