Electronics/DON'T TOUCH ME

(This is not a spam or a homework question)
I was wondering would you please tell me: is it a fact if someone rubs their feet on carpet and then they touch something else, that person can get an electric shock?

If it is a fact, would you please explain to me in a easy way that I can understand: how can that happen?

It's very common and basic principle of static electricity.  In dry climates, especially, when one moves about they attract or give off electrons from their body or clothing which generates very high static voltages  (high voltage in the thousands of volts, but with little current or power associated with the charge build up).

This voltage is high enough to spark jump through the air and cause the "electric shock".

If you want to know more please read the link below:

Let me know if you have further questions.  

Electronics questions about AC, DC and digital theory.

Graduate electrical engineer with over 40 years in electronic design, manufacturing, project organization and patent review. Experience in fields of industrial and consumer electronics (audio, video, acoustics, etc.)

IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers); Senior Life member AES (Audio Engineering Society), Fellow Life member

BSEE University of North Dakota