Electronics/Chess moves automated recording machine.

Question
Dear ZZ

Is it possible to devise a Chess moves automated recording machine which will record the chess moves made by the chess players in the game?
The machine will be kept besides the chess clock. This will eliminate the manually written chess moves by the chess players.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Well, with advanced robotics, optical recognition and sophisticated software just about anything can be done now days.  I would judge this project to be classified as very difficult and very expensive to implement.  At least if it were totally automatic and required no human inputting to the device.

You could probably put some college students on it to breadboard a prototype and it would take them a couple of years effort for the rudiments.  That's my guess.  

Electronics

ZZ