Elementary Educators/What should

Question
What should an American teacher do? One of your students is from the United Kingdom and says that she only knows how to write English using British spelling and grammar rules which is different than what is used in the United States. She says that you want her to write American English you have to teach her. She is the best student in your English class and can read/write better English than most American adults. She only knows how to speak English with a thick British accent, the same type of
English that news read for the BBC World Service speaks. Many most children in your class have trouble understanding her, but you have no trouble understanding her.

Answer
I'd keep helping her transition to American English. Her accent is likely to be permanent, so I'd work with her speaking slower and help the fellow classmates understand what she's saying.

It sounds like she's super smart, so her adjustment shouldn't take too long.

Best wishes!

Elementary Educators

Cathy Walker