Email/Hours or days delay in receiving e-mails

Communicating with my friend, sometimes e-mails go right through, but sometimes it takes hours or days for them to be received.  There is no pattern to whether it is a new e-mail or a reply to one.  Some of them just are lost for 4-5 hours up to a day and a half.  What would explain this situation?

Hello Art,

thanks for your question!

What you experience is explained this way, that sometimes mail servers on which emails are stored before delivery, are overloaded or on the receiver site they queue up while going through spam filters on the server that are in place on the mail server of the receiver. This causes sometimes delays.

AOL Mail e.g. is known to have very strict spam filters. If you use services with SMTP logging (SMTP = Sent mail server), you can see that AOL often refuses email on first try on delivery and wait if the sent mail server tries re-delivery.  This all adds up to the delivery time.

Hope thsi helps!
All the best!

Joerg Droege

I did an education as a Management Assistant in Informatics, I am using the Opera browser since year 2000 & the M2 email client since 2004. I will do my best to answer also other email related questions and email client settings related, etc. But please no Outlook or Outlook Express questions, since I do not use that. (But if you really want to ask in that field, I will sure do try my best to answer your question nicely and correctly anyway :) ). This includes but is not limited to web based email or whatever comes to your mind.

I am a Management Assistant in Informatics education which was done under the control of the CCI (Chamber of Commerce and Industry). And had to solve various PC, email and other related problems. Using computers since 1990.