Email/ip hacking

Question
QUESTION: can an IP be hacked?

I looked up an email location and it said that the origin was the US and now a year later it says the origin is AFRICA.

It is the same enail address but it had 2 different IP hosts.

Can someone hack into an IP?

ANSWER: Hello Jeff,

thanks for your questions! Reason for this is, that the pool of available IP v 4 email addresses is empty already, so companies do resale of IP addresses and IP address ranges to other companies who need them.

More about this can be found here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion

Hope this helps!
All teh best!
Joerg

QUESTION: so it really could originate in the US?

Answer
Hello again!

You wrote:

"it said that the origin was the US and now a year later it says the origin is AFRICA."

Conclusion: The IP address once was assigned to a company/service in USA and then sold to a company/service in Africa.

IP addresses can be registered to any company/service/ISP in the world.

All the best!
Joerg

Email

Joerg Droege