Email/All Emails Dissappeared

A few day ago, I was using avast anti virus free, when a offer dropped down to upgrade to avast pro for $9.99. I took up the offer and when it started downloading, it caused my computer to go haywire. I couldn't fix it myself, so I carried it to a computer shop and they fixed it for a fee of $75.00. I use Mozilla Thunderbird for emails. The next day when I went to check my emails, all emails were gone. The sent, inbox, drafts, etc. were all gone. I can get new emails, but I had all my important files on the archives folder which disappeared also. My question is, do you know how or if there is a way to recover these emails? If not, do you know someone who can help?  Thanks for your time and consideration.  Stephen

Hello Stephen.

Thanks for your question!

Yeah, computer stores are not responsible for your data when fixing computers, the way you describe it, the emails where gone after they returned the PC to you. That's why it is always important to keep backups of your data so you don't become a victim of data loss. You can use free backup software for that like e.g. Drive Image XML:

And yes, it's possible to restore deleted data but only shortly after the deletion, because the area will be marked as writeable again so after a short while, the place where the deleted data was stored will be overwritten by new data.

If you wanna restore recently deleted data, you can do so e.g. by using free tools like Recuva:

Hope this helps!
All the best!

Joerg Droege

I did an education as a Management Assistant in Informatics, I am using the Opera browser since year 2000 & the M2 email client since 2004. I will do my best to answer also other email related questions and email client settings related, etc. But please no Outlook or Outlook Express questions, since I do not use that. (But if you really want to ask in that field, I will sure do try my best to answer your question nicely and correctly anyway :) ). This includes but is not limited to web based email or whatever comes to your mind.

I am a Management Assistant in Informatics education which was done under the control of the CCI (Chamber of Commerce and Industry). And had to solve various PC, email and other related problems. Using computers since 1990.