Employment Law/commission only hair stylist

idohair1127 wrote at 2011-06-24 18:07:47
i am sort of having the same problem, except i have not been asked to do any cleaning, etc... although, i am expected to report to work daily, whether or not i have clients scheduled. i am expected to sit there for hours and wait for a walk-in. i am paid NO MORE than 60% of my services, plus a small percentage of products that i sell to the client. when i started, there was nothing set in stone, it was a brand new salon. I was "Told" that until i built my clientele up, i would be receiving an hourly salary plus commission. never did it occur to me that it was supposed to be that way all the time. after reading this it made more sense, so thank you. although i do not pay booth rent, i feel that i should be able to make my own hours if i am not being paid by the hour.

carolyn wrote at 2014-04-08 14:29:01
in ms. u can pay commission only.keeping your work place clean,will bring more cliental.if u have no clients.the owner isn't making any money either.paid by the hour minuim wage,could mean turning in your tips,and paying taxes on them.if u don't have set hours how does your clients know when to come to u.grow up.this is the big girls world.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire

I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.

Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006