Employment Law/Uniforms

If an employer is mandating uniforms, can they tell an employee what type and color they must wear? and that they must purchase them at their own cost? and from the company only? I work at a not-for-profit hospital in Missouri.

Yes and yes. Especially in an establishment where uniforms are a form of specific employee identification, such as in a hospital setting, an employer may mandate that the color, type, and design of a uniform as worn by the employee be a condition of employment. Futhermore, the employer may deduct the cost of said uniform from the employees' wages, so long as the deduction does not drop the employees' wages below that of minimum wage. The employer may do the same in regards to the maintenance and laundering of the uniform. If the employer does not offer automatic deduction of the cost of purchase, maintenance, and laundering of the uniform, the employer may still require the employee to burden the expense out of pocket.

Shannon M. Reising, MSP, PHR

Employment Law

Shannon M. Reising, MSP, PHR

FLSA, FMLA, Title VII, EEOC, AAP, ADAA, Workers Compensation, Payroll, HR Development and Training, Industrial/Organizational Psychology. My approach is from a scientific-practitioner perspective. Rather than basing ideology on pure white-paper study, I answer with a baseline of critical thinking seated in my position as an HR professional. I understand both the psychological underpinnings of both employers and employees, and how the law may be interpreted and applied in countless situations.

Over 10 years in HR of both non-profit and for-profit organizations ranging in size of population from 20-500 .

Notary Public, HR Certification Institute, Society of Human Resources Management, NC Coastal Society of Human Resources Management, American Psychological Association

BSBA, MSP, Current Doctoral candidate in I/O Psychology, PHR accredited