Employment Law/Drug use concern

Do I have to work with coworkers that are under the influence of drugs? Can my employer be forced to investigate my concern or be charged for not acknowledging the complaint of drug usage on the property? Also, what can I do about the H.R. manager not respecting my privacy about my complaint?

I know that's three questions ;0)

Any info would be appreciated.

About the supervisor you can contact the Department of Labor and talk to them about this as it is a problem if confidential conversations are shared with others. The owner of the company might also be a good person to talk to about it as he is more than likely the boss of HR.

On the drug use you could try the owner of the company. You could also call OSHA as this could be a safety issue.

I think you need to go to the Department of Labor and see what they have to say. You can call them on the phone.  Ask them also if you quit or are terminated because of your concerns over working in an unsafe environment due to the influence of drugs will you be allowed to collect unemployment. I think you should be allowed to do so.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada