You are here:

Employment Law/errors in pay amount, timely reimbursement


QUESTION: I live in Nevada in case that matters. My pay check was short a little over 1000 dollars of "bonus" pay (pay determined on bi-weekly performance) Four days worth. Is there a time frame that I can make my  employer repay me?

ANSWER: Matt - You are entitled to be paid what you are owed as of your next regular pay day.  

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you for the reply, but I guess what I really wanted to know is what can I do to make them pay me now. A union job I had in California, if there was  error on my check  I was paid at the appropriate overtime rate until error was rectified.

Sorry, Matt, there is nothing in the law that would require them to pay you immediately.  You had a great union contract, but the law isn't as pro-employee.  It's especially not the case because you described the money as a bonus, which isn't governed in the same way that salary is.  Bonuses are almost entirely at the employer's discretion unless there is a written employment agreement stating the terms of their distribution.

Employment Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Margaret M. deMarteleire


I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.


Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]