Employment Law/Non-Exempt Employees

My company just changed the non-exempt pay period from ending on Sunday to ending on Friday.  This will take effect this Friday; they notified us last week.  Don't they have to give us more notice than one week?  Weekend employees will not receive their pay for two more weeks.

We gave our employees 30 days when we changed pay periods. Our hourly employees were short 2 days when we changed from semi-monthly to biweekly but they had a month to prepare for it.

In California the law is very vague. As long as the employee is paid twice the month the pay periods change the law is complied with in California. California law says the employee must be paid at least twice a month.

California employers are allowed to change their payroll cycles as long as they give prior notice to their workers that the change is planned. The law doesn't state exactly how much notice is prior notice. As long as notice is given -- this could be done the day before anticipated paychecks would be handed out -- and the employees are paid within the state frequency laws, the company is in compliance.

Other states have different laws.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada