Employment Law/Retirement plan distribution approval?

Question
I have been in process of trying to obtain funds from a retirement account with a former employer.  This process has been an issue as the employer fails to return calls and/or respond to request from the holder of the account regarding approval of the distribution.  What steps can be taken legally in order to obtain the funds that are rightfully mine?  I am having to close out the account due to hardship purposes and need the funds immediately.  Any insight on how to proceed is greatly appreciated.

Answer
It usually takes between 30 and 60 days to close out a retirement account. If you cannot get anything donw with this account you many need to contact the ESBA. This is the division of the Department of Labor that handles retirement plans.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/

Employee Benefits Security Administration.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR