Employment Law/Temp Agency Withholds 1st Week of Pay

Question
Hello, I hope my note finds you well! I am working with a temp agency for the first time in my career. I was told that I will be their employee and will receive my paychecks directly from them bi-weekly. I was then told that it is customary that they withhold my first week's pay and so the first paycheck I receive will be for 3 weeks of work. Is this really something that all temp agencies do and is it legal (under the FLSA)? If it helps, I live and work in New York, NY. I look forward to your reply!

Answer
It is customary for any job whether regular or temp to hold back the first week of pay. I do it at my company. the employees are paid a week behind all the time and when they terminate they are paid the week which is held back. This is for payroll processing reasons.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR