Employment Law/401k

Question
I lost 50% of my income three years ago and have had a negative cash flow going deeper in dept every day. I have loans on my 401k which was no problem with my higher income however crippled me with the income cut. I still owe 30,000 in loans and have well over 100,000 in the 401k. I would gladly pay the 10% penalty and the taxes on the 30k to have a positive cash flow again. This is my money, why cant I decide how to use it? Is there any way to access this money without losing my job?

Answer
The 401k is a retirement account. Other than the loans you are allowed to make against the 401k you are not allowed to withdraw your funds until you are 59 1/2 years old at which time you can make withdrawals from your account.

You should check your 401K SPD to make sure that is how your 401k is set up but it is they way most 401K plans work.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR