Employment Law/Deduction from paycheck

Question
An employee had an allotment of $10 sent to a dental care provider each paycheck.  This allotment was taken from each check for a period of 10 years.  The employee received a pay stub showing the amount for the same 10 years.  The employee now says the allotment was in error, they never approved the allotment and want the entire sum returned.  My question, at what point is an employee responsible to notify the company if a deduction or allotment is incorrect?

Answer
It is the companies responsibility to make sure the paychecks are correct that go out of their office to the employees. It is also the employee's responsibility to check and make sure the check is correct.

If it were to go to the Department of labor or to court they would probably make you pay the amount back for the past 2 years and no further back.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR