Employment Law/EAP trap

Question
Hello,

I wanted to share my horror story with a EAP. First, he told me if I did not sign his "Release of Medical Information" that I would be terminated. I signed. Got terminated and he exonerates himself by saying "I signed the release". I had just been diagnosed with breast cancer ten months prior to this.

SelfFunded Employers have found a a loophole by using the EAP. HIPPA does not apply to employers. Wellness programs are there to collect information on employees for use against them when desired. My question is two-fold is have any of my rights been violated and do i have legal recourse?

Thank you,

Glenys

Answer
The EAP or Employee Assistence Program does not have the power to fire anyone. You should have refused to sign the release of medical information. You cannot be terminated for refusing to sign this it would have been a hippa violation. Since you did sign the release I do not know what can now be done.

I would say you could call and talk to the Tennessee Department of labor and say that you signed the release under duress. I would talk to the EEOC division and file a complaint that you were discriminated against because of your medical disability and fired because of this discrimination and see if you can get help under the ADA rules.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR