Employment Law/Layoff and vacation pay

Question
Can an employer force you to use your vacation pay prior to laying you off or tell you that you must use it up by the end of the year?  In my case, My vacation pay is based upon my hire date. I was hired in July, but layoffs occur between December and March.  So, if I have to use my vacation days up by December, I only have six months to use them.  That does not seem right.

Answer
Vacation is not required by law. It is given by the company. The company has the right to say when you can or can not use your vacation time.

Employers are not required by law to provide vacation time off or vacation pay. Vacation time/pay is a fringe benefit controlled by the company and can be offered or taken away.   Under Public Act 390 of 1978, the Payment of Wages and Fringe Benefits Act, section 3 provides, "an employer shall pay fringe benefits to or on behalf of an employee in accordance with the terms set forth in the written contract or written policy."

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-61256_11407_32352-83350--,00.html

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR